"Eco-Friendly" and "Green" are two buzz words in the special event industry these days. While a completely "Green" or "Eco-Friendly" event may not be your style, you can incorporate one or more of the following tips to create a "more earth-friendly" event.
1. Choose a venue that uses energy efficient light bulbs, environmentally friendly energy supply companies and eco-friendly biodegradable cleaning products.
2. Calculate your event's Carbon Footprint at http://www.carbonfund.org/Calculators and offset it.
3. Plant trees in honor of your guests in lieu of favors or give eco-friendly favors.
4. Serve organic wine and locally brewed beer.
5. Have your florist use locally grown flowers or order organically grown or fair trade flowers.
6. Light up your event with soy-based candles.
7. Print your invitations on 100% post consumer recycled paper.
8. Create a website for your event to post information such things as travel arrangements, hotel reservations and directions instead of printing this information on paper.
9. Package your Out-Of-Town Guest Hotel Gifts in organic cotton grocery totes imprinted with your event logo or monogram.
10. Select a caterer who uses organically raised meat and poultry as well as organically grown produce. A green event does not mean tofu and sprouts will be served for dinner.